Policies & Guidelines
APERC formulates policies and guidelines for the effective functioning of the Power Sector in Andhra Pradesh
from time to time. In so doing, the Commission is usually guided by the National Policies and Guidelines
issued by the Government of India
from time to time.
Government of India Policies & Guidelines:
- General Terms & Conditions of Supply: In January 2006, the Commission approved the General Terms and Conditions of Supply of the Distribution and Retail Supply Licensees within the State of Andhra Pradesh. Download.
- Policy on Captive Power Plants: Obtaining prior permission or consent from APERC for establishing or installing Captive Power Plants done away with from 10.12.2003. See the announcement here.
- Long Term Tariff Principles: The Commission has issued an Order in March 2003 on Long Term Tariff Principles (LTTP) after going through a detailed consultation process. Download the consultation paper here.
- Transmission Standards: The Commission laid down Transmission Planning & Security Standards, Power Supply Planning & Security Standards, Transmission Operating Standards and Power Supply Operating Standards in the year 2003. View them here.
- The Grid Code: As part of those endeavours, the earliest of the initiatives taken was to approve
the Grid Code for the State of A.P. The main purpose of the Grid Code (also known as
'Code of Technical Interface' - 'CTI' for short) is to achieve co-ordination among the various power
utilities in operation and development. The objective of the CTI is to provide guidance for efficient,
economical and coordinated operation, maintenance and expansion of the entire power system, especially
the Transmission Network and to create an environment conducive to competition in the generation and
distribution of electricity. The CTI consists of five Codes:
- The General Code View or download.
- The Planning Code View or download.
- The Connection Code View or download.
- The Operation Code View or download.
- The Metering Code View or download.
They deal with the procedures and responsibilities especially at boundaries between entities, prescribe formats and
time scales for exchange of data between entities in respect of operation and development activities and lay down
connection conditions to be followed by Users. By following the C.T.I., coordination in real
time operation, maintenance of equipment, load relief, load restoration, standards of supply,
safety, frequency and reactive power management, metering, protection and outage coordination
are achieved. Coordinated development of systems of various entities is also assured.
- Power Procurement Policy: APERC has issued guidelines on load forecasts, resource plans and power procurement on 28.02.2000. You can download them here.
- Guidelines for Tariff filings: In October 1999, the Commission issued the following guidelines on Revenue and Tariff filings for:
- Distribution and Retail Supply Licensees View.  These guidelines have since been revised in 2005 through Regulation 4 of 2005.
- Transmission & Bulk Supply Licensees View.  These guidelines have since been revised in 2005 through Regulation 5 of 2005.
- Rural Electrification Policy: On 23rd of August, 2006 Government of India announced the Rural Electricitaion Policy. Download it here.
- Tariff Policy: On 6th of January, 2006 Government of India announced the Tariff Policy. Download it here.
- National Electricity Plan: In July 2005, the CEA has come out with a draft National Electricity Plan inviting comments and suggestions from all the stakehodlers before October, 2005. Download it here.
- Major Policy Initiatives: Some of the major policy initiatives taken by the GoI in the recent past can be downloaded here.
- Rajiv Gandhi Grameen Vidyutikaran Yojana: A new scheme for creating rural electricity infrastructure and completing household electrification is launched by the GoI recently. See the details.
- National Electricity Policy: The Government of India issued the Natinal Electricity Policy on 12th February, 2005. View it here.
- Policy on Hydro Power Development: Download the policy issued by GoI in August, 1998 here.